Winterbrew is the BJCP-sanctioned homebrew competition of Square Kegs.
Essential information at a glance
- Registration URL: Login to Reggie
- Number of entries: 200 total
- Maximum number of entries per brewer: 4 in different subcategories
- Number of bottles per entry: Three 12oz bottles or 12/16oz cans
- Entry fee: $8 per entry, net income after expenses going to Gigi’s Playhouse
- Shipping window & registration opens: Friday December 10 2021
- Shipping and drop-off deadline: Friday January 7 2022, 5pm
- Drop-off locations: Empirical Brewery, Une Année, Lo-Rez (addresses below)
- Mail-in location: Empirical Brewery (address below)
- Judging dates (online): January 15 thru January 28, BOS judging January 29
- Ceremony: Saturday February 5 at Empirical Brewery
- Contacts: Jordan Von Kluck (competition organizer) or Brad Pausha (judging director)
Drop-off & mail-in locations
Please note hours of operation of the breweries when planning to drop off your entries.
- Empirical Brewery (drop-off & mail-in):
1801 W Foster Ave, Chicago, IL 60640
- Une Année Brewery (drop-off only):
6343 W Gross Point Rd, Niles, IL 60714
- Lo-Rez Brewing (drop-off only):
2101 S Carpenter St, Chicago, IL 60608
- December 10: Registration opens
- December 10: Shipping and drop-off window opens
- January 7: shipping and drop-off deadline
- January 15 and 16: Entries and materials to judges
- January 15 to January 28: Judging window
- January 29: Best Of Show judging
- January 29: Announcement of Medal Winners
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak there is a possibility that the competition may be canceled due to state and/or city restrictions. If it is canceled your entry fees will be refunded but we will not be able to return your entries.
This competition is AHA / BJCP sanctioned and open to any amateur homebrewer age 21 or older. Entries should be categorized according to the 2015 guidelines, as they will be judged according to the 2015 guidelines.
All mailed entries must be received at the mailing location by the entry deadline. Please allow for shipping time.
All entries will be picked up from drop-off locations the day of the entry deadline at 5:00pm.
Three (3) 12 oz bottles or 12/16 oz cans will be required for each entry.
Fee is $8 per entry. The net income, after expenses, for Virtual Winterbrew 2022 will be contributed to Gigi’s Playhouse.
There will be an entry limit placed on each subcategory of seven (7) entries.
All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or Brew on Premises operations, supplies, etc.).
The competition organizers are not responsible for miscategorized entries, mailed entries that are not received by the entry deadline, or entries that arrived damaged.
Brewers are not limited to one entry in each category but may only enter each subcategory once. For example, participants may enter an Oatmeal Stout (16B) and Tropical Stout (16C), but may not enter two Saisons, even if they are different brews.
The competition committee reserves the right to combine categories based on number of entries. All possible effort will be made to combine similar styles. All brews in combined categories will be judged according to the style they were originally entered in.
Bottles will not be returned to entrants.
Judging is done online this year, using Reggie.
Qualified judging of all entries is the primary goal of our event. Judges will evaluate and score each entry. The average of the scores will rank each entry in its category. Each flight will have at least one BJCP judge.
The Best of Show judging will be determined by a Best of Show BJCP panel, based on a second judging of the top winners.
We will be doing an informal awards ceremony at Empirical Brewery on Feb 5th so you can come pick up your medals and grab a beer. More details to come.
Medals will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category/table.
The 1st place entry in each category will advance to the Best of Show round, where gold, silver, and bronze best-of-show medals will be awarded.
Awards will be mailed out to the winners. Results will be posted to the competition website after the ceremony concludes and score sheets will be emailed out to participants shortly after judging concludes.
Judge Registration Opens – Friday Dec 10th
Entry Registration Opens – Friday Dec 10th
Shipping and Drop-Off Window Opens – Friday Dec 10th
Shipping and Drop-Off Deadline – Friday January 7th
Bottle Sorting Day – Saturday January 8th
Entries and Judging Materials to Judges – January 15th and 16th
Judging window – January 15th thru January 28th 4:00pm